This program is designed to prepare students for industry employment and/or certification as an advanced level welder. Students will be instructed on welding symbols, reading welding detail drawings, physical characteristics and properties of metals, pre and post heating of metals, gas metal arc welding (GMAW), flux core arc welding (FCAW), and gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW).
Students will have the ability to:
- Perform all tasks in the Basic Welder curriculum.
- Identify and interpret welding symbols on detail drawings and welding procedure specifications (WPS).
- Identify and explain physical characteristics, mechanical properties, and metallurgical considerations for welding materials.
- Explain process and safely demonstrate proficiency with pre and post heat treatment of metals.
- Explain and safely demonstrate proficiency with gas metal arc and flux cored arc welding (GMAW and FCAW) equipment.
- Correctly perform GMAW and FCAW various welds on carbon steel plate.
- Explain and safely demonstrate proficiency with tungsten arc welding (GTAW) equipment.
- Correctly perform GTAW various welds on carbon steel plate.